Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Tree of Life

Alright, we have now seen 4/9 Best Picture movies. We watched The Tree of Life last night. We really did not know what to expect since the movie reviews either give it a 1/10 or a 10/10. Kind of like this year's Black Swan...which I strongly disliked...I felt like Black Swan was the pretentious person's teenage thriller movie. Boring...I mean really...was anything in that movie that surprising? or thrilling? We spent the whole movie waiting for something to happen. Have none of you seen crazy before? Or two girls kissing? I want to be entertained at the movies, show me something controversial...or at least a great story with all the required elements! Remember those from high school english?
Anyway, this movie was better! Brad Pitt can act in any role in any story and do a great job...so I'm going to focus on the story. It is about a man reflecting on his childhood and the conflict he faces with his father all while questioning the origins of life and the existence of faith. Easy enough. I enjoyed the 1.5 hours of the actual story and acting in this movie. Very well done!
Did I need the 45 minute random IMAX-esque scenes (although they were pretty to look at) to "assist me" in understanding the questioning of life, faith, and existence...not really. Maybe I'm just smarter than the rest...but I don't think so. Once again, pretentious and condescending. A director trying to make himself feel smarter than the rest of us by adding so called "symbolism and meaning" to an easy plot. But maybe he was feeling dumb and needed the ego boost. I hope he feels better now.
I would give it a 5/10. There is a reason not all movies have a random IMAX clip in them.

Now to see Hugo, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (which seems to have the same plot as Hugo from the trailer? Father's die...keys are left behind...), The Artist, The Descendants, and War Horse. Actually, I probably won't see War Horse...I can't handle the animal movies...it really just means that I'm guaranteed to cry.

4 comments:

  1. We just watched it last night. I was left feeling the same way, but differently. I felt the (way too long) "Imax" visuals, had a depth that wasn't ...

    I don't know. I felt that it was the story of grief, but that it wasn't communicated clearly enough, because of the timeline skipping all around?

    I still need to ponder and then I will blog... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what happened to the whole grief bit when it started? I feel like it could have been so good but something was missing that would have made it great. Lack of flow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was the weird journey through the ...scenes? The darkness, the light, the past, the coming through? I think it was his/their take on the journey through that grief. ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I think those parts were the representation of journeying through grief too. I didn't mind the little blips of light and dark coming through because I think it helped me remember that it was him travelling through grief that resulted in him reflecting on his childhood. I just really wish there had been more story and acting because I really enjoyed those parts. I don't really feel like the "IMAX" scenes added anything for me that could not have been portrayed better if the idea behind those scenes had been put into the actual story. Lol, I'm starting to confuse myself. I'm sure anyone reading this discussion that hasn't seen it is like "WTF?"

    ReplyDelete