Friday, March 22, 2013

Big, Dumb, Guard

Yep.  Let's face it.  Every time we see a jail guard portrayed in the media it is usually as incompetent, lazy, over weight, and not too bright.  Or there is the other side in which they are seen as lunatics that beat up and abuse inmates every chance they get.  Even our kids get to see jail guards in Disney movies as some sort of animal (usually a rhino) that screws up somehow, is too slow ( both weight wise and mentally) and the bad guy gets away.

I'm a jail guard.  Or "jail police" as my kids proudly refer to me.  I take a great amount of pride in what I do and the people that I work with.  I keep bad guys in jail.  I make sure they behave, assist them in receiving programming, help them with their rehabilitation back into society, and provide counselling as well.  And while I do all of this I make sure that the jail is functioning well in terms of security.  We refer to it as providing dynamic and static security.  When I started my job I was bored most of the time.  There is a lot to learn and they want you to master the static (doors, cuffs, locks, 24's, charges) before taking on the dynamic (counselling, programming rehabilitation).  Now that I have been there 4-5 years I'm busy most of the time.  In fact some days I can hardly keep up.  I have my own case load of 5 inmates all the while providing for 30 inmates in an 8 hour shift.  Oh yeah...and I only have 1 other partner on shift.  Yep we're busy!

Oh yeah and in the 8 hours that I'm there I am so busy that I don't actually think about the fact that I am out numbered by inmates every day...so our lives are at risk too. Yep, I am trained to respond to fights, hostage takings, staff assaults, fires, etc.  And I do respond...every time!

Did I also mention that we are under funded, over populated, and our building is constantly in need of repair?  Sounds like most government buildings (schools, hospitals) so I won't focus on this part.

We also do a great deal of fundraising for the Children's Hospital Foundation.  Does the media help us promote that?  Nope.  That's not nearly as interesting as drugs or sex.  I'm riding 130kms in less than three months...on a bike...for the CHF.  It happens every year.  And we have raised tens of thousands of dollars.

The people I work with are incredibly intelligent, fit, and one of the most interesting and dynamic groups of people I have ever met.  Everyone has a different story and different life experiences.  I can sit back, watch, and listen for 8 hours no problem.

I chose this job because I have always had an interest in the justice system.  I wanted to be a lawyer in high school but soon realized that being a successful lawyer and mom would be a tough balance.  I do not want to be a police officer because then you are dealing with inmates...but they have weapons and are either drunk or stoned.  Jail guard is a good balance.  I get to do casework and security at the same time.

So while I get to study inmates, help inmates, manage our security measures and every now and then put an inmate back in his place, I also get to work with great staff.  Saskatoon should be proud of the people that are protecting them!

Somehow I am a woman and a guard and I manage to not deal drugs, or sleep with inmates.  Yup.  True Story.  I have not changed anything about myself for my job.  I wear make up, I do my hair, my nails are done...because that's who I am...and still I somehow manage to keep it together.  Thank you women who have screwed it up for the rest of us.

I am proud to wear my uniform.  I do my job well and I take it seriously.  I put my life at risk to protect others and try to improve society.  I am proud of my co workers.  Keep your heads up!  Don't let the media bring you down.  Even if no one else is grateful, I am grateful to have you as partners!


Except for Kendra and Tanya Beauchamp...the media can bring them down...whoops! Typo :s


2 comments:

  1. I love referring to my two prison guard girlfriends!
    I'm proud of you (and Annie) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!! ^^ and amazed... I don't think I could do it!

    ReplyDelete