Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cupboard Cleansing

Robert and I have been struggling for a while to find an acceptable family diet that will also apply to kids.  We have tried having separate foods but it just does not work. We will take candy from babies!

We tried being vegetarians since I have always struggled with the ethical and moral issues of eating meat. It didn't work. Robert was cranky and my baby had green poop. So we sucked up the cost and began buying meat from Pine View Farms. I am happy about this:)

We finally tried the Paleo diet. I was a little unsure since I've heard that there is no dairy. I have not researched dairy enough to make a decision as to whether or not we should be drinking cow milk. And I cannot deprive growing kids and a baby from milk without researching. I finally got around to it and checked some discussion boards online. To my surprise a lot of Paleo dieters say that it is common sense. If milk bothers you don't drink it. If it doesn't then include it. Awesome!!

So I have slowly been weaning ourselves and the kids off the processed crap. Just this week we are down to the last box of Nutri Grain bars. I have been replacing it all with nuts, fruits, veggies, meat, dairy, and the odd Paleo baked snacks.

It has been one week of clean eating and we feel better already! The kids are more calm. They aren't as hungry all the time and everyone is happier.

I know this isn't the end and we will want to cave but I hope we can keep it up!

I found a fantastic Paleo cookbook at Costco. Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso.
It includes snacks, dips, soups, slow cooked meals, entrees, lunch kit meals, sides, and quick "Oh my gosh I have nothing in my cupboard" meals. She even gives tips on what sides pair with which entrees and how to get kids involved with cooking.

Rather than just myself cooking and praying my house doesn't go up in flames while the kids are alone has changed! Now everyone is in the kitchen with me. This cookbook paired with my slow cooker, Acti Fry, and food processor has changed how we eat!

Upon cleansing my cupboards I have also noticed that 25 years has taken it's toll and they need some loving...summer project! :s

No comments:

Post a Comment