Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happy Mother's Day....now cry.

Yep! My kids made me cry for Mother's Day. But a happy cry.

I feel so fortunate that Sage and Hayden call me "mom". When we adopted them Robert and I decided that we would not ask them to call us anything. Robert was "dad" right away. I had to wait a bit longer to be "mom". Sometimes I would be mom, or auntie, or Shauna.

It made sense. Neither of them know their birth fathers. So the opportunity to have a dad was new for them. But they already have a mommy, and a mama, and a nana, and an Auntie Shauna. I was happy with our decision to not force names upon them for Robert and I but I think I felt like it would be nice if they called me mom because I wanted to be one to them so badly.

I was patient though and waited.

I'm mom all the time now:) I got a card, some roses that Sage picked out, a cake that Hayden piced out and giggles from Will :)

I had been joking around at work on Mother's Day (after my partner bought me a yummy lunch!) that I didn't want another craft! Lol. I have stacks of pictures...I love them all but I'm sure any mom reading this understands my little funny ;)

Well I also got crafts. And these are the gifts that ironically made me cry and I love them! Hayden's is decorating my locker at work and Sage wrote a book of poems that sits proudly on display in our living room...I also took the crafts to brag at work :)

One of Sage's poems ended with "Did you know that there are babies and kids in the world without mommies or food or shelter? Did you know that I got to be adopted? Did you know that you are my mommy and I love you dearly?"

Cue tears.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I have tears so I can't imagine what your tears were like!! :) SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete