Friday, October 26, 2012

Don't beat out of a boy...

...what you would admire in a man.

The quote goes something like that.

Sometimes your kids surprise you.  Actually, your kids surprise you every day.

I always thought that Sage would have a tough transition at a new school.  But her desk isn't front row centre (a first!), she plays with her friends every recess, and she isn't on a reward program for behaviour.  Yay!!  It helps that she possibly has the best teacher ever!!  Seriously...this girl lucked out.  She is young, pretty (which doesn't matter to me...but matters to a girl who likes shiny things), full of energy, is great at making kids take responsibility for their actions, great at being right on top of any issues that may need parental involvement, incredibly positive and supportive when it comes to learning new concepts and she never scolds children in public...I could go on.  This lady blows my mind.

Hayden is having some problems.  My outgoing, cute, friendly, loving Hayden.  It probably doesn't help that Robert and I did not get a good vibe from his teacher right off the bat.  To be fair we did meet Sage's teacher first.  So it would be hard for any teacher to rise to that expectation lol.  She is older, she is cynical and sarcastic, often makes jokes at the children's expense...I don't find it funny.  I'm a strong believer that if you call your child a brat, your child will believe they are a brat and act like one.
She wears a headset.  No one in the class is hearing impaired.  I understand that a class of 25 five year olds is insane...I couldn't do it.  I become skeptical when I see the headset.

I get concerned that it is a power trip and will be used inappropriately because of the teacher being in a position of authority.  And in this case...why should you be respected?  I like that he questions authority and he understands that he needs to respect authority figures as long as they are adhering to their roles and institutional rules...but when it's abused he tunes out.  Do I blame him? I'm more impressed that at 5 he understands what it means to abuse power and that respect is earned not demanded.

She never turns it off.  Even when speaking to them one on one.  Even when scolding them.

Hayden had been going to Montessori since the age of three.  I love Montessori.  They are encouraged to explore, to learn what they are naturally interested in learning, they encourage natural consequences. If there was a Montessori on the West side...they would be there.  He really thrived in this environment.
And honestly?  Why would you pay upwards of $800 a month to daycare when they could be going to a learning environment for $575 full time...every day...with before and after care...and when the teacher is sick they call a sub.  I want one closer to home.

I think with the all the adjustments of a new home and completely different school...he is struggling.  It's all new.

How do I find the balance of encouraging Hayden to be an individual, and to question authority (qualities that I admire about him and would admire in a man and am amazed that he is 5 and has them), while getting him to fit in and make it in a new theory of learning and new structure.  I'm not upset with the public school system...there are a lot of factors going on here.  It's just very different from what he is used to.  They do what they can...but is it appropriate for this child?  And how do I make it so?

Where is the balance...

No comments:

Post a Comment