Friday, April 5, 2013

Grocery shopping for three please!

It takes a brave person to take three children out of the house and into public places.
It's not easy and it takes some prep work. It's okay when we go out to do fun things. That's fairly easy. Usually it's something kid related so it's totally cool if my kids are running around like a bunch of rabid hamsters because so are all the other kids.

The scary trip is grocery shopping.

So many things can go wrong grocery shopping.

1) The Budget. I go with a set budget. I can feed a family of 5 on $160 a week and there is zero crap in my house. I'm fairly proud of this ;) The running total of groceries is easy to keep track of by myself. But add in three kids (one screaming or babbling, one running around the store pretending he works there, and one rolling her eyes and scoffing because "you don't buy her anything EVER") Things get a little sketchy.
"Ok with the eggs I'm at $40." Then insert random chaos, spit, and screaming. Try to remember the number you just said. Impossible.

2) The cart. How can a box on wheels cause mayhem in a grocery store? Do you know what kids LOVE to play with? BOXES!! These boxes have mother f-ing wheels on them!! Need I explain more?

3) Keeping items in the cart. Will throws everything out of the cart. Why not keep everything away from him? Ummmm did you notice I have a family of 5 to feed? You could climb my cart by the time I reach the checkout.

4) Keeping items out of the cart. That's right. I have two kids with me that are constantly asking me for things and hiding items in the cart.

5) Try to look sane. I look totally sane on my own! Trying to discipline two kids in the middle of a grocery store is not easy! We all know that you find the least populated aisle and let me have it but you need SOME control.  Plus it s soon forgotten the second they start to misbehave and some stranger looks at them like they are all cute and fluffy. Then everything you just said is gone!

By the end of the trip I am thinking about stopping by the LB but have no energy. So I pick up some Kahlua favored K-cups and am on my way...

Oh. And my organized items at the till goes to crap too. We basically puke the contents of the cart onto the belt. Thanks for the help kiddos! We've survived another shopping trip :)

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I don't have 3, but I totally know what you're talking about. You are so funny!

    You should read Dawn Meehan's book Because I Said So. She has a whole chapter on grocery shopping with 7 kids. Dani has my copy right now but you can borrow it after her if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $160 for a family of 5!
    Shauna! Share your average grocery list.
    Rob and I have a hard time sticking to $100 and there are 2 of us! And we hardly ever by junk food. Or meat. Or dairy!

    ReplyDelete