Sunday, October 20, 2013

Happy Schmanniversary ; )

Much has happened since my last post on July 31st.

Waskesiu happened, school has started, we are back into the "normal" routine again of surviving M-F and being lazier on the weekends.  And of course Hayden's escapes keep us entertained during all of this.

I could blog about the silly adventures of the domestic goddess that I am but that can wait.  I could also blog about the adventures of being pregnant for the second time but with three kids in the house...and I will.  This babe deserves some attention ;)

But for now I'm going to start with the present.  In order to do this I will have to go into the past a little bit.

When I was about to get married my Dad gave me the old advice that I'm sure every one gets.  "Marriage is work".  And just like every body else I just smiled and nodded and thought "yeah, ok Dad.  I'm off to go finish my registry".  I'm sure he knew that I had no idea what he was talking about.
And wasn't too insulted when I blatantly gave him the old "smile and nod" as to not be disrespectful ;)

Robert and I just celebrated our 4 year anniversary October 17th.  It sounds cheesy but I knew that I would marry Robert the first time I met him.  Of course it took years for us to finally get to that point.  I knew that we'd be together and I didn't want to make any mistakes getting there.  So we grew up, we dated other people, Robert travelled, and we finished school.  It only took 3 weeks before he had moved in and we were set.

We may have just celebrated 4 years but we have been living together for 9.  I know that is an impressive number to some and a mere wrinkle to others.  And the time doesn't matter at all to me.  It's what we have been through in that nine years that have made me understand what my dad meant by "Marriage is work".

In the past year our lives have changed immensely.  We went through trials before marriage but it was nothing that couldn't slowly be comforted and healed just by having each other.  Going from just us, to three, to five and now to six is hard.  In preparation for marriage, there is no way to actually prepare yourself for what is to come.  You can know each other's values, morals, what they want to be when they grow up, where they want to be in five years, their debt, their plans for budgeting for the future...but there is no way that you can prepare yourself for everything.  And there is no way that you can predict where life will take you.  It's a short life but it is always changing and full of adventure.

This past year has caused us to challenge ourselves, and each other.  We have had to rely on each other more than any other time.  Whether it be for a good old freak out just because you know the other person will sit there and take it and not take it personally or if it's just for some peace and sanctuary and you don't have to say a thing because they understand.  We've had to learn how to just go to each other more than before.  We problem solve together, brainstorm together, try to talk things out.  It is work.  But the point is to work through it together.  I get that now.

It's okay if our ideas are different.  If our parenting skills are different.  If we are super mom and dad one day as well as super husband and wife...and then loose it all the next.  The point is that we go through all of these motions together.  That is what makes marriage stronger, and build our relationship so that we really can trust each other to get through what life has in store for us.

I wouldn't want to go through all of these things with anyone else.  And although it is a challenge, I am happy that I have a husband that I can feel completely comfortable going through all of these motions with me.  The challenges are never left to one person.  It's up to both of us.

Happy 4 (9) years :)  Movie next week? ;)

Back to our escapades next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment